Intoxicating Liquors FAQ 3

When an establishment with a “Class B” liquor license is sold, is the liquor license transferred from the seller to the buyer?

No. Licenses can only be transferred from one person to another in certain specific situations (see FAQ on license transfers for more information). Ordinarily, the prospective buyer of a licensed establishment must apply for a new license. If a municipality is “at quota” and has issued all of its available “Class B” liquor licenses, then the seller usually surrenders his or her license, so that a license is available, with the surrender contingent on the governing body’s granting the license to the prospective buyer. The prospective buyer must file a license application form and complete the entire application process. The prospective buyer must also pay a prorated fee for the license.