Tools for Local Officials
- Municipal Budgeting 101 (PDF) Budgeting is one of the most important functions, if not the most important function of local government. This article by Jim Healy, Administrator, Village of Richfield addresses the topic of being a good steward of the tax dollars we receive. Jim's article appeared in the July, 2015 The Municipality magazine. The Village of Richfield's 2019 Budget (PDF)
- Municipal Budgeting: What Local Officials Need to Know (PDF) by Claire Silverman, League Legal Counsel reviews Wisconsin law governing municipal budgets. From the July, 2015 The Municipality magazine.
- 2013 Budgeting and Financial Oversight for New Municipal Officials (PDF) - The mission of the budget process is to help decision makers make informed choices about the provision of services and capital assets while promoting stakeholder participation in the process. Thomas R. Hoff, MBA, Financial Services Manager City of Eau Claire, provides a "how to" in this presentation.
- Glossary of Common Municipal Finance Terms (PDF)
- UW Extension’s Local Government Center’s Finance and Budget resources
- Best Practices in Public Budgeting, National Advisory Council on State and Local Budgeting (PDF)
- Institute for Local Government (ILG) resources- The ILG is the research and education affiliate of the California State Association of Counties and the League of California Cities
- Budget Creation and Monitoring - This publication discusses budgets as tools for linking near-term goals with the resources available to achieve them, while keeping in mind long-term goals and resources and how the agency’s annual budget fits into its capital plan.
- Financial Management for Elected Officials: Questions to Ask - helps the media and the public understand the basics of local agency financial planning and management, including what kinds of questions to ask to assure good practices are being followed.
Financial & Budgeting Policies
- Village of Brown Deer Financial Policy (PDF) - Procedure Manual
- City of Bellingham, Washington, Financial Management (PDF)
- City of Kenosha’s Financial Policies (PDF)