US Treasury Department Guidance

Take Steps Now to Avoid Delays in American Rescue Plan Funding

There are specific things your municipality needs to have in place before it can receive money from the State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund.

As your city prepares to receive its first allocation of the American Rescue Plan’s State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund, there are a few steps you can take now to help the process.

Municipalities under 50,000 in population

The U.S. Treasury will allocate and pay funds to state governments, and the state will distribute funds to non-entitlement units of local government in proportion to population. Cities with populations less than 50,000 are included in non-entitlement units of local government.

Cities must have a valid Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number to meet the reporting requirements under the program. If your city does not have a valid DUNS number, request one online or call (866) 705-5711 to begin the registration process.

Minnesota Management & Budget’s COVID-19 Response Accountability Office is expected to provide information in the coming weeks about any additional steps cities will need to take to receive funding.

Cities over 50,000 in population

If your city’s population is more than 50,000, it is an entitlement unit of local government, and you need to do the following:

  1. Ensure the city has a valid DUNS number. A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number used to identify an organization and is issued by Dun & Bradstreet. The federal government uses the DUNS number to track how federal money is allocated. A DUNS number is required prior to registering with the federal governments System for Award Management (SAM) database, which is outlined below. Registering for a DUNS number is free of charge. If a city does not have a valid DUNS number, request one online or call (866) 705-5711 to begin the registration process.
  2. Ensure the city has an active SAM registration. SAM is the official government-wide database to register with in order to do business with the U.S. government. All federal financial assistance recipients must register on and renew their SAM registration annually to maintain an active status to be eligible to receive federal financial assistance. There is no charge to register or maintain your entity’s SAM registration. If an entity does not have an active SAM registration, please visit, to begin the entity registration or renewal process. Please note that SAM registration can take up to three weeks; delay in registering could impact timely payment of funds. See a quick overview for SAM registration.
  3. Gather the entity’s payment information, including:
    • Entity Identification Number (EIN), name, and contact information.
    • Name and title of an authorized representative of the entity.
    • Financial institution information (e.g., routing and account number, financial institution name, and contact information).

Visit Treasury’s website for more detailed information

April 19, 2021 by the Minnesota League of Cities