Resources for New Officials
Welcome to the League
Local government is not a spectator sport; thank you for being a part of your municipality’s leadership. City and village government depends upon citizens like you stepping up and offering your knowledge, common sense and point of view; and then working with other citizens to build consensus and move your city or village forward.
The League is here to help you do that job. We were organized in 1898 by local officials like yourself to serve as an unbiased resource for the people of local government. In keeping with our simple mission, this New Elected Officials web site is a packet of essential material that our experience says you will need in your new role.
Good luck! Jerry Deschane, Executive Director
Watch Jerry's Welcome to the League Video
The League lobbies the Legislature with, and on behalf of, Wisconsin's cities and villages.
The League provides Legal Services
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Learn more about the League's extensive Resources. Explore the Resources Tab
- From the League's popular Handbook for Municipal Officials to Municipal Licensing and Regulation of Alcoholic Beverages, explore the League's Handbooks and Manuals. Order your Handbooks here.
- The popular Municipal Budgeting Toolkit provides links to help you through the budget process. See the sidebar for everything from "Key Numbers for Preparing your Budget" to "Levy Limits." Access the Budgeting Toolkit here.
The League Provides Opportunities for Learning, Networking & Engaging
- Learn more about the League's workshops and meetings. Watch the Annual Conference video. Explore the Conferences Tab.
- The League's Local Government 101 provides new and experienced officials and staff with information on powers of municipalities, ethics, meeting protocol, budgeting, and public works. Register for Local Government 101 here.