Officers FAQ 12

How does a city or village change the method of selecting a municipal officer, such as clerk or treasurer, from election to appointment?

Cities and villages can change the method of selecting certain officers such as clerks and treasurers by adopting a charter ordinance as provided by Wis. Stat. § 66.0101. See Wis. Stat. §§ 62.09(3)(b)6 and 61.197(2). However, cities and villages may change the selection of non-governing body officers to a civil service system by adopting an ordinary ordinance. (rev. 4/22)